- This event has passed.
Take Back the Night 2016
September 22, 2016 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Take Back the Night (TBTN) is an annual rally and peaceful protest against sexual and gender-based violence. TBTN 2016 aims to celebrate, to support and to empower survivors, while creating safer communities and healthier relationships through awareness, activism and advocacy.
Since at least 1975, Take Back the Night has grown into an international movement, joining communities, grass-roots groups, organizations and others together to eradicate sexual violence.
Goals of TBTN 2016:
• To raise awareness about the prevalence and impact of sexual violence
• To publicly condemn systemic oppressions that create, maintain and perpetuate rape culture
• To reclaim public spaces (i.e. streets/sidewalks) that are often considered “unsafe” to travel at night for many individuals due to the perpetration of gender-based violence
• To engage in discussions about prevention and to imagine futures without violence
THIS YEAR’S TAKE BACK THE NIGHT INCLUDES:
– Engaging speakers (names and biographies to be announced soon)
– A rally and march in protest of sexual violence
– Free childcare and a children’s activity area hosted by Change for Families in Need
– Music by CFRC 101.9fm
– TBTN balloons with LED lights for the first 100 participants
– A photo/video project booth hosted by Sexual Assault Centre Kingston
– Community activities in Confederation Basin Marina following the march
– Free refreshments from Pan Chancho Bakery & Café